With the current state of the technology and how fast it’s continuously growing, we have tons of online resources and gadgets to help us on our health journey. Our phone is not just a simple phone. I use it more for other things than just talking on the phone with someone or sending a text. Here are a few examples I use almost daily:
- Pedometer: a pedometer is a portable device that counts the steps you take; e.g. FitBit, Jawbone. You can find also a lot of apps but based on my experience they are not so accurate.
- Food diary: a food diary is a website and/or app for tracking calories of the meals you’ve had, you can configure a recommended daily calorie goal for weight loss/gain or maintenance; e.g. MyFitnessPal, FDDB (Germany), Livestrong
- Activity tracker: an activity tracker is a portable device/website/app that helps you track your workouts and how much calories you burn; e.g. Endomondo, Runkeeper, Runtastic, DailyMile
- Heart rate monitor: a heartrate monitor is, as the name says, a device to help monitor your heartrate during workouts. It usually comes with a transmitter which you strap on your chest and this will capture the heart frequency and send it via Bluetooth to a watch or an app on your phone, it also displays the calories you burn; some of the most popular brands are Polar, Sigma and Garmin
- Community, blogs and forums: this is where you can read about other people’s journey and struggles, give and receive support to/from others; e.g. WordPress
- Books: research is always important, you can find a list of some of my favorite health books on this pinboard: http://www.pinterest.com/fitgeekgirl/health-media/
All these tools help us reach our goals, make it possible for us to connect with each other and to give support to one another in order to succeed. Help me extend my list, do you know any other tools? Have you used any and how did it help you?