I had my first running session with my new trainer today. The running class is targetted to novice runners and will go for the next 12 weeks, one class per week.
The class today was great altogether, the pace at which we ran was optimal for me although I got pretty tired at the end, after one hour and 5 kms.
Today was mostly introductory so that the trainer gets to know the group (we are 7 so far) and the level we are at.
We started with a short slow run, then checked our pulse, did dynamic stretching and finally alternated between running and walking. The trainer showed us the proper posture and movement when running or walking and also ran & chatted with each of us separately to find out more about us and our fitness level.
1. Posture: back straight, shoulders pulled back, head looking straight ahead.
2. Arms: swing those arms in rhythm with the pace on both sides of the upper body (not in front of you!).
3. Feet: land with the heels, go on the entire foot, roll to the front of the foot and push yourself away from the ground.
4. Knees: be careful when running downhill, try to keep the knees flexible to avoid injuries. Do not stretch the legs completely while running.
4. Stretching: do dynamic stretching before running. Static stretching is actually counterproductive.
5. Hydration: drink at least 1/2 liter of water 1 hour before going running and then right after running as well.
6. Target heartrate: 120-150 bpm.
7. Warning signs: red face, nausea, dizziness, shortness of breath. Switch immediately to walking or stop completely!
Even though I got pretty tired after running, I suddenly had so much power and energy. I am really looking forward to the next running session! 😉