Creating an Alexa Skill with AWS Lambda is easy. I used the Hello World sample skill and this tutorial to deploy my first Alexa skill using AWS Lambda: Deploy a Sample Custom Skill to AWS Lambda. I had to jump between many pages to complete the tutorial so I summarize the steps with the corresponding links in this post.
- Register for Amazon Web Services
- Register for Alexa Developer Portal
Prepare a Node.js Sample to Deploy in Lambda
- Install Node.js and Visual Studio Code locally on your machine
- Download the sample code for Hello World from GitHub
- Open the folder in VS Code and review the files
- The folder speechAssets is for the Alexa Developer Portal
- The folder src is for the AWS Lambda function
- Navigate to View > Integrated Terminal, navigate to the folder src and run “npm install alexa-sdk”
- Select all the contents of the
srcfolder, including the node_modules folder, and create a zip file
Set Up a New Skill in the Developer Portal and Get the Skill ID
- Go to the Alexa Developer Portal
- Follow the steps at Register a New Skill to add a new skill
- Select language
- Enter name and invocation name
Creating the Lambda Function for the Sample
- Go to the AWS Management Console
- Follow the steps at Create the Lambda Function for the Sample to add a new Lambda function and configure the Alexa Skills Kit Triggers using the Skill ID from the Alexa Developer Portal
Complete the Configuration of the Skill on the Developer Portal
- Go to the Alexa Developer Portal and edit your skill
- Navigate to Custom > Endpoint, select AWS Lambda ARN, then paste the ARN for your Lambda function in the Default Region box.
- Navigate to Custom > Interaction Model > JSON Editor, paste in the interaction-model.json, then click Save Model and Build Model.
Test your Skill
- In the Alexa Developer Portal, navigate to Test: “Test is enabled for this skill” is disabled by default so enable it
- In the Alexa Simulator, enter “hello world”
- Check the JSON Input request and the JSON Output response
- If you want to debug the AWS Lambda locally in Visual Studio code, use this Alexa technical tutorial.
You must be logged in to post a comment.