I’ve been searching for a new in-ear headset for my Nokia Icon for a few months now. I had iPhones before getting the Nokia Icon so I used the iPhone headset with the Icon too but I wasn’t so happy with the sound quality and the integrated volume control isn’t compatible with Nokia.
I was considering getting a Nokia Monster headset, despite the reviews saying that the cable breaks easily. The main reason I decided to order this headset (besides the 50% sale on amazon for the fuchsia ones 🙂 ) was the compatibility with the Nokia smartphones, I wanted a headset with volume buttons which work with my phone so that I don’t have to constantly take my phone out of the bag to switch the volume or pause what I am playing.
What I like
- The sound quality is pretty good: the sound quality cannot be compared to over-ear or on-ear headset but for an in-ear headset the Monster delivers clear and crisp sounds. It’s definitely much better than the iPhone headphones.
- The earphones look so cute: I have a Nokia Icon in black (the store had none in white unfortunately 😦 ) and I picked a shell in fuchsia to brighten it up a little bit. Obviously I picked the headset also in fuchsia to match the shell and the start screen theme of my phone. 😀 I think the headset looks very adorable and stylish!
- The small carrying box and tangle-resistant cables: let’s be honest, my bag is a mess and I can never find anything but what annoys me the most is having a headset with cables tangled around everything and spending a bunch of time trying to take the headset out of my bag. This carrying box and the tangle-resistant cables are a life-saver!
- Variable sized ear buds: the headset comes with standard sized ear buds but the box contains also a small bag with 5 additional ear buds of various sizes. I really love this because the standard size was too big for me so I had to pick a smaller one.
- Noise-cancelling: this was a nice little surprise. I’ve read on the website about its noise isolating features but I didn’t think that it will be this good. This feature is great during my commute to work because the noise in the public transportation can be sometimes annoying, especially if I didn’t have my morning coffee yet. 😉
What I dislike
- The integrated volume controls don’t work with my Nokia Icon: this was actually one of the main reasons I got these earphones and I am very disappointed that this doesn’t work, especially since the Nokia website lists that headset should be compatible with my phone.
- The earphones are constantly falling out of my ears: I guess I need some time to get used to them but I changed the ear buds to smaller ones because the standard size was too big for me and I am trying to find the right position in my ear.
I just realized this morning that I was listening to the Power Women mix on Nokia Mix Radio on my Nokia Icon smartphone with my new Nokia Monster earphones on the way to work. I am a Nokia fan alright. 😉
Nokia was my first phone ever, after some hits and misses with other smartphones I am now back at Nokia again. I love my Icon and I am overall happy with the Monster headset too.
I will however check why the volume buttons on the headset are not working with my phone. 😦